ASEAN Australia Young Leaders Forum 2019
We are looking for savvy, driven and skilled young people to join the Forum Executive Team of the ASEAN Australia Young Leaders Forum (AAYLF). Applicants should be 18 to 29 years old and should be a citizen of Australia or an ASEAN Member State.
The inaugural AAYLF will bring together 40 influential young leaders from across ASEAN Member States and Australia in an innovative and intensive four-day workshop setting. The Forum will be an unprecedented opportunity to enhance understanding between ASEAN and Australia and build the next generation of leaders committed to advancing regional cooperation in their fields.
Our goals are to catalyse people-to-people connections, ignite interest in regional affairs and generate innovative and collaborative projects between young leaders from ASEAN and Australia.
This event will be held between November 29 – December 2, 2019 in Jakarta, Indonesia.
Applications for these roles close Sunday 7th April at 11:59 (GMT+7)
We are recruiting three Leads for our Forum Executive Team:
- Logistics Lead
- Communications Lead
- Content Lead
Leads will be expected to provide leadership to a small team of Officers, manage the strategic direction of their team by ensuring output meets Forum objectives, manage team workload and morale and troubleshoot problems with their teams. They will also report regularly to Conference Directors and contribute to the Forum’s strategic direction through the Forum Executive Team.
Leads will be expected to start contributing to the Forum Executive Team as soon as possible. The role will finish in December 2019.
Leads will be expected to contribute five to ten hours every week until October 2019. During November, Leads can expect to have a heightened workload as the Forum approaches.
The Forum Executive Team can be based anywhere in Australia or ASEAN. As the Forum will be held in Jakarta, however, we highly encourage young people residing in Jakarta to apply for Lead roles. Whilst financial support may be provided to assist Leads not based in Jakarta to attend the conference, this is not guaranteed.
It is expected you will have full availability during the Forum. All Forum Executive Team meetings will be conducted in English.
Please note that all roles are voluntary.
What are we looking for in Leads? We are looking for someone who has:
- Passion for advancing ASEAN-Australia relations
- Strong intercultural awareness and responsiveness to cultural difference within teams
- Strong English capability
- Proven ability to manage a small team
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Proven ability to take initiative and work creatively
- Proven ability to manage time effectively
- Proven ability to manage events
- Attention to detail
- Proven ability to be responsive to online communications, especially email
- Manage transport
- Manage food and beverages
- Manage venue and accommodation
- Manage all logistical aspects of Forum events, including venue set-up and resourcing
- Work with other teams to manage speakers, including airport pick-ups and accomodation
- Manage health and safety for the Forum, including risk management for all Forum events
- Closely monitor logistical costs
- Manage AAYLF’s website
- Manage AAYLF’s social media accounts, especially Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Document the conference through both photography and videography
- Create a post-conference video
- Write media releases
- Design the Forum’s graphics
- Design and publish any publications related to AAYLF
We encourage applicants for Communications Lead to provide a brief portfolio of their work.
- Have a deep knowledge about ASEAN-Australia affairs
- Connected in Southeast Asia, especially with research centres, universities, and related institutions
- Create and manage delegate pre-conference curriculum. Every delegate will be expected to complete this curriculum before attending the Forum.
- Curate and organise the Forum’s panel events, skill workshops and masterclasses.
- Manage communications with Forum speakers as their first point of contact
How do I apply?
To apply for any of these roles, please email a copy of your CV and a 1-page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you wish to apply for multiple roles, we suggest you submit a cover letter for each role you are applying for.
Your cover letter could include an explanation of:
- Why you are passionate about ASEAN Australia affairs
- How you fit the Lead’s Skills and Qualities
- Your demonstrated experience in fulfilling the role requirements
- Your ideas for creatively and effectively executing your role
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com